A Baby Blessingway

a virtual celebration for our friend, reverendmother, and the much anticipated reverendbaby

Thursday, December 01, 2005

GRANDMA’S WISDOM FOR REVEREND MOTHER AND REVEREND BABY

Babies are pretty indestructible; designed to live.
My five all survived in spite of my ineptitude.

Babies are very smart.
Very, very early on they learn how to get parents to do what they want.
This easily becomes manipulation.

Babies come into the world with a lot of personality already formed.
In ways, they are all the same
But they can be very different, even with the same parents.

My children learned more from watching and listening to me
Than from the things I purposely tried to teach them.
This is reassuring, and also scary.
It is humiliating to see and hear your own worst faults being repeated in your kids.

I fairly well succeeded in avoiding the mistakes that I thought my parents made.
However, I unwittingly made brand new mistakes of my own.
I’m sure that my children are in the process of repeating this process.

Do the best you can do, and pray to God to fill in the blanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home